[PLUG] using dd

Zot O'Connor zot at whiteknighthackers.com
Fri Feb 13 11:04:02 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-02-13 at 10:50, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Feb 2004, Vincent Yau wrote:
>
> > I have a bunch of VCD format movies in CD that I want to dd out
> > to my harddrive as iso.
> >
> > So I did this:
> >
> >    mount /dev/cdrom
> >   dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/usr/local/cdfile.iso
>
>   See related thread from a couple of days ago. Then read 'man mkisofs'
> before reading 'man cdrecord'.

Ahhhh

You and cooper are wrong here.

This *should* have worked perfectly.

as Rich said, dd is a "bit copy" which means it will use the file system
from the VCD.

Now, the question is, is a VCD a iso filesystem?  According this it is:

http://www.vcdimager.org/documentation.phtml

Which begs the question can you just mount it, and pull the mpegs of
directly?

If so, than something foobared with dd.

As a test get a good cdrom, and

dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/tmp/test.iso