[PLUG] Willamette Week letter

Colin Kuskie ckuskie at dalsemi.com
Fri Feb 13 11:08:02 UTC 2004

SAVOR TIME

What should've been an article on the Open Source Development Lab and
its mission turned into a Linux soapbox. "The Rebel Alliance" [WW,
Jan.  28, 2004] let slip the secret that that Linux is the savior of
the digital universe because it doesn't cost Windows' $350 on the
desktop or $2000/user for servers. But the security and performance of that
free operating system far exceeds any amount of money saved.

Linux finds a home where people value freedom, choice and time spent
using computers rather than fighting or fearing them.  Most people use
their computers for business, Web browsing, email and printing pictures
in a thought-free environment. As a professional chip designer and
amateur Web developer, I look at the profit margin. I've worked on Unix
and Linux since 1993. The time I save working with Linux on a day by
day basis dramatically justifies the initial investment.

Poor security in Windows is a thing of the past, present and future.
Windows integrates its software into every level of access to the
machine, allowing viruses and security holes to be exploited through a
variety of means. Linux's security works independently of its
third-party components (e.g., Apache), which is a source of great
strength.  Worried about the security of a piece of Linux?  Turn if off
or uninstall it, and Linux keeps on working.  Windows will not (not
cannot) offer you this control over your own computer.

Open source is not limited to Linux. Open-source communities exist for
many programming languages and operating systems. Microsoft's
developers' network provides complete references and tutorials for
their operating system and software--and their seamless integration for
a lot of money.  Open source software offers all of the same, for free,
as well as providing routes where you can pay for support if you want
it.  However, in over a decade of using Linux I can personally say that
I've spent less than a total of $50 for support of Linux.

However, there's something to be said for software that comes
from paid programmers.  That's why companies like AOL supports
Mozilla, the open source web browser, and Sun Microsystems supports
Open Office, the open source office software, and why IBM has
invested more than 1 billion dollars in Linux.  With open source,
therefore, you can have the best of both worlds.

Many Linux users spite Microsoft or like to show off tech skills, and
the same is true of any community, there are a few extremists who
don't respect your freedom to choose.

Colin Kuskie