[PLUG] bash surprise

Bill Spears bspears at easystreet.com
Fri Feb 13 11:34:02 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-02-13 at 10:53, AthlonRob wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-02-13 at 10:47, Bill Spears wrote:
> > Try this:
> > $ echo B | grep [a-z]
> >
> > Cure seems to be LC_ALL=C.
> >
> > I thought my system, Fedora1, was plain Jane vanilla.  The fact that
> > this wasn't set right really surprised me.
>
> Since I'm not running Fedora... I'm assuming the above line outputted
> B?  FWIW, I got no output running the above line on any of my slackware
> boxes or my gentoo laptop.
>
> Rob

Correct.  Hence my surprise.  Perhaps I missed something during the
install, but I had no LC_ALL set to anything. I did have

> LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> LANGVAR=en_US.UTF-8

So it picked up something about English.  I haven't looked, but I don't
remember seeing the recommended class notation [:lower:] used anywhere.

I think it is at least bug-like.  It certainly could give a nasty
surprise.