Reading VCDs (was Re: [PLUG] using dd)

D. Cooper Stevenson cstevens at gencom.us
Fri Feb 13 15:35:02 UTC 2004

Right off the cuff, and I'm not checking because no time.

1) We know that the dd thing only records 40 MB's even if not an iso

2) We know that the system bombs on creating the iso

Is is possible that there is a scratch about 40 MB's into the disk?

That would reconcile what's happening. Do you have another VCD that you
can check?

-Cooper

On Fri, 2004-02-13 at 14:59, Erik Walthinsen wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-02-13 at 14:53, Vincent Yau wrote:
> > Thanks for your reply.  So does that mean
> > that using standard cd recording (cdrecord, XCD-Roast, dd etc...) technique
> > in Linux won't work with VCD cd?
>
> Never tried it, but I know there are programs that do it.  cdrecord is
> capable of writing CDs at an even lower level (2352-byte sectors plus
> the 96-byte P-W checksumming layer), so if you have a program that is
> capable of constructing an image with 2352-byte sectors you can burn
> VCDs in this format.  However, this is only needed if the contents of
> the disk exceed what a 2048-byte sector disc can store.
>
> Google or freshmeat will probably reveal several programs designed to
> construct VCD images and handle burning them to a CD.

| Cooper Stevenson        | Em:  cooper at gencom.us            |
| General Computer        | Ph:  541.924.9434                |
| "Open For Business"     | Www: http://www.gencom.us        |