[PLUG] using dd

Bill Spears bspears at easystreet.com
Fri Feb 13 16:04:02 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-02-13 at 11:03, Zot O'Connor wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-02-13 at 10:50, Rich Shepard wrote:
> > On Fri, 13 Feb 2004, Vincent Yau wrote:
> >
> > > I have a bunch of VCD format movies in CD that I want to dd out
> > > to my harddrive as iso.
> > >
> > > So I did this:
> > >
> > >    mount /dev/cdrom
> > >   dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/usr/local/cdfile.iso
> >
> >   See related thread from a couple of days ago. Then read 'man mkisofs'
> > before reading 'man cdrecord'.
> >

> Ahhhh
>
> You and cooper are wrong here.
>

> This *should* have worked perfectly.
>
> as Rich said, dd is a "bit copy" which means it will use the file system
> from the VCD.

Not completely true.  In the recent past, I had similar trouble. I had
burned some .iso's but I couldn't dd them back to the disk.  What I
found was that if burned with the DAO option dd worked if not it
wouldn't quite copy the whole iso. (When mounted the cdrom file system
was correct!)
--
Bill Spears <bspears at easystreet.com>