[PLUG] using dd

Daniel Logghe dzl at frenetic.com
Fri Feb 13 18:13:02 UTC 2004

Vincent Yau wrote:
> Any tips much appreciated.

I would suggest using vcdxrip, part of the vcdimager package
<http://www.vcdimager.org>.

VCDs are a unique sort of beast. I believe it is an ISO9660 filesystem,
but it's on two seperate tracks, which may be why you're only getting 40
megs or so, dd might only be ripping the first track.

vcdxrip will pull out all the data you need, including all the meta
information, and leave you with a straight mpeg. You can then repackage
it as a vcd image again with vcdxbuild if you want to burn a copy, but
unless your goal is simply to copy the cd you'll probably want to
extract it out anyway.