[PLUG] POTS and Data on same T1?

Anthony Schlemmer aschlemm at comcast.net
Sat Feb 14 19:22:02 UTC 2004

What I don't know about T1s and data communications far exceeds what I
know but I'll answer this question since we have this in the office I
work in to a limited extent. We have a single T1 and have it
provisioned such that 1/2 of the line is our ISP data connection and
the other half is used for our phones.

We have a battery backed up box mounted in the closest with our PBX that
is called a channel bank. It connects to our PBX and then it also has 4
POTS lines coming out of it that are connected directly to the
punch-down panel in the telco closet. The channel bank also has a
router card in it that we connect to our firewall's WAN port with a
crossover cable.

So yes it is possible to get POTS lines out of a T1 with the right
equipment and provisioning in place.

Tony

--
Anthony Schlemmer