[PLUG] Just a note on the DVD writer

Russell Evans russell-evans at qwest.net
Sun Feb 15 00:17:01 UTC 2004

On 14 Feb 2004 20:38:37 -0800
"Kenneth G. Stephens" <kens at cad2cam.com> wrote:

> BTW-The driver available in RedHat 8.0 for writing DVD's uses the
> DVD-R format Need to get some of them.  Today I bought the DVD+R.
> Thinking that the + is better than -.  Well. . . .
>
> The box said Windows 98 or better.  It said it could do DVD+R AND
> DVD-R.
>
> Just checked the drivers available.  Generic DVD-R is the only one
> available.  At least there is one DVD driver available.
>
> Back to Freddies to buy the DVD-R.  """DVD-R*** not DVD+R for writing
> DVD's with Linux.

http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/
But if they support both + and - recording strategies, why are they
called dvd+rw-tools? A. 	For historical/nostalgical reasons, as
originally they did support exclusively DVD+plus. On the other hand now,
when the vast majority of DVD burners that are being introduced to the
market today are DVD+capable, the name most likely refers to your unit
in either case. And you can always consider the plus in the name as
notion of some unique quality, such as "seamless" multi-sessioning, not
as reference to some particular format:-)

http://www.k3b.org/
DVD burning:
    * Support for DVD-R(W) and DVD+R(W)
    * Creating data DVD projects
    * Creating eMovix DVDs
    * Formatting DVD-RWs and DVD+RWs

http://www.xcdroast.org/
# Note about DVD+R/RW support:
cdrecord.ProDVD requires in some cases the command-line option "-force"
to write on DVD+R/RW media. If this option is missing you get the
irritating message: "Cannot write CD's >= 100 minutes". As X-CD-Roast
does not yet support the -force option, you have to wait for a new
version, or use the command line manually.