[PLUG] Logging curiosities...

Darkhorse plug_0 at robinson-west.com
Sun Feb 15 14:06:03 UTC 2004

Doing file on lastlog on a working server I noticed it wasn't an ascii
text file.  I'm curios why catting some logs trashes the terminal.

Can all the logs be deleted?  If they are, how do you recreate new
empty ones?  If a log file is missing, do logs go to the
screen by default?

Has anyone considered a smart cat, more, and less replacement that
will not open files that trash the terminal?

Is there a slick way to figure what is sending messages to the
terminals and say have it put messages up on a terminal that's
never used?  Many messages are so nondescript it's hard to tell
where there coming from to correct the offending program.

Another thing peppering my logs is a keyboard timeout error.  I'm not
using an AT keyboard on my server.  USB is far more convenient at the
moment, it's what I have.  I still have a PS/2 mouse on one box though.
Why is the kernel probing for a PS/2 keyboard?  Is there a way to stop
this behavior?  On some computers I've noticed, like my P4, USB keyboard
doesn't work during post no matter what settings I try.  Do I need to
compile without PS/2 support or is that mice only?