[PLUG] Personal Documentation

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Mon Feb 16 02:42:02 UTC 2004

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004, Felix Lee wrote:
> Jeme A Brelin <jeme at brelin.net>:
> > I was FURIOUS.  What does that mean, "in her day"?  She's still ALIVE!
> > There's no reason to ossify or fossilize or whatever.  Just keep alert and
> > alive and learning.
>
> the simple fact is, the world is too large for one person to look at.
> it takes obsessive attention to keep up with new developments in any
> field of human endeavor.  computers are a huge field, and frankly not
> very interesting.  I never paid much attention to computers in the first
> place (I'm more of a compsci geek than a computer geek), and these days
> I often resent the amount of effort it takes to simply "stay current" in
> the narrow specialty I'm working in right now ("the unix world").
> there are many things I'd rather be doing instead, and many of them have
> little to do with computers.

Now, see, I totally understand and appreciate this.  If she'd said
something like, "I'm new to this" or "I haven't really used computers
before", I'd've been fine with it.

> someone using the phrase "back in my day" is probably joking. it's a
> lighthearted acknowledgement that the world is changing faster than
> anyone can keep up with, which makes everyone an ignorant fool from time
> to time.

If that were the case, it would never be anyone's day.

We're all a bit behind in most fields of human endeavor and understanding
and way behind in some, but that doesn't mean we get to stop learning once
we reach puberty or even retirement.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin