[PLUG] OT: hardware problem (on a linux box)

Kyle Hayes kyle at silverbeach.net
Mon Feb 16 08:36:02 UTC 2004

On Monday 16 February 2004 08:09, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Feb 2004, AthlonRob wrote:
> > This changed with the advent of ATA-66.  Now the position on the
> > cable *does* matter.
>
>   Oh. OK.
>
> > Again, I really never use cable select as I can't remember it
> > ever working for me.  I'm not sure if, since ATA/66 requires a
> > special cable and cable positions, it is compatible with cable
> > select or not.
>
>   The original cable was one of the new, round ones. That would
> probably have been the correct type.
>
>   Well, I'll ask the vendor to help me resolve the problem.

I had to both set the jumpers correctly _AND_ put the drives in the
"correct" position on the cable.  In my case the cable was actually
labelled so this wasn't too much of a chore.  Still, it was a new
thing to me.  I'm still not sure I did something wrong.

I put two drives on the primary chain and the CD as master on the
secondary chain.  That seemed to make the BIOS happier than any other
combination I tried.  Operator error is still a large possibility for
me :-)

Best,
Kyle