[PLUG] OT: hardware problem (on a linux box)

Mike De La Mater mikedela at theplatinumrule.com
Mon Feb 16 09:28:02 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-02-16 at 06:17, Rich Shepard wrote:
> drive as slave). The original drive is a WD 60G model; the one I'm trying to
> add is a WD 80G model.

WD is very weird about jumpers.

IIRC, two WD on the same channel will auto negotiate. A single WD on a
cable doesn't like any jumpers at all. A WD with something else needs
the jumper, most of the time.

If I were you, I'd try unconventional things, like above, to see what I
can get going. I'd work one channel at a time.

At the risk of being far too basic, and only because I hadn't seen it
listed here recently, I'll mention that many systems will not boot if
the pin 1 stripe is not oriented toward the power connector on the IDE
device.

Does the new drive recognize correctly under any circumstance?

CSFO is closing their doors, BTW. Should be this month some time.

--
Mike De La Mater
Starsign Northwest
mikedela at ipns.com