[PLUG] unicode problem with Postgresql and Perl DBD::Pg

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Mon Feb 16 11:01:02 UTC 2004

For some random email messages, as I stuff them into a Postgresql
table's text field via Perl DBD::Pg, I get a message along the lines
of:

  DBD::Pg::st execute failed: ERROR:  Unicode characters greater than or equal to 0x10000 are not supported at ...

or:

  DBD::Pg::st execute failed: ERROR:  invalid byte sequence for encoding "UNICODE": 0xef662e at ...

The execute is of a prepared "INSERT INTO ..." expression.

>From psql land, a \l shows me:

        List of databases
   Name    |  Owner   | Encoding
 mydb      | russell  | UNICODE

The email body contains some circumflected character or another.

Me caveman.  How make work?

seniorr at aracnet.com