[PLUG] OT: hardware problem (on a linux box)

Kenneth G. Stephens kens at cad2cam.com
Mon Feb 16 20:31:02 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-02-16 at 17:59, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Feb 2004, AthlonRob wrote:
>
> > Try this, please.  It will at least tell us a little bit.  If it works in
> > a single drive setup, set up *exactly* as your known-good drive, then it
> > is simply a configuration error somewhere along the line.  If it does
> > *not* work, set up exactly as the known-good drive is set up, then we
> > can safely assume there is a hardware-level compatibility or failure
> > issue.
>
> Rob,
>
>   Still haven't yet tried this. But, I was told by the folks at ENU that
> only the primary IDE bus on the MSI KT3 system board supports ultra-DMA, so
> both drives need to be there.
>
>   Took everything out and checked jumpers.
>
>   Original hard drive on bus0, master (and jumped as such). New hard drive
> on bus0, slave (and jumped as such). CD-ROM drive on bus1, master (and
> jumped as that).
>
>   Turn on the box and no drive is recognized. ARRRGGHH-H-H-H!
>
>   I've not had this problem ever before.
>
>   Later, perhaps tomorrow, I'll unplug the cdrom and the old drive, rejump
> the new one as a master and see what it does on the end of the cable.
>
> Rich
>
> --
> Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
> Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
> <http://www.appl-ecosys.com>

Rich,

You may be doing what you think is right, but the hardware may not be
what you think.  If your cable is one of the newer IDE cables, it has a
twist in it that sets up the slave/master relationship.  Your setting
the jumpers may be defeating this and putting both drives in the same
mode. For kicks, why not let the hardware try its thing.  Put both
drives in cable select configuration and plug them in your cable.

Try it, it might even work.

Ken
CAD2CAM.COM