[PLUG] SOT: Personal Router and CISCO switches

Kris krisa at subtend.net
Mon Feb 16 22:20:03 UTC 2004

On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 05:11:10PM -0800, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
> I've discovered that the personal firewalls' uplink port won't sync with
> some CISCO 2900 and 3500 Enterprise switches.  Tried all the regular
> tricks (cross-over cable, tested cables, etc.) but but the only way is to
> go through a 'cheap' hub or switch then to the CISCO switch.

Personal firewall?  Is this a linux device or cisco?

In the past I have seen issues with Cisco and auto-negotiation of duplex
and speed.  Try forcing the Cisco to 100-FullDplx or whatever your
firewall can handle (try to force on both sides).

If any of the ports involved are Gig, and you are crossing over, you may
need to create a gigabit crossover cable.  In this case, you not only have
to switch the green and orange pair, but you have to swap the blue and
brown pair as well.

--
I'm just a packet pusher.