[PLUG] OT: hardware problem (on a linux box)

Mike De La Mater mikedela at theplatinumrule.com
Tue Feb 17 00:35:03 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-02-16 at 12:08, Paul Johnson wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 09:27:20AM -0800, Mike De La Mater wrote:
> > IIRC, two WD on the same channel will auto negotiate. A single WD on a
> > cable doesn't like any jumpers at all. A WD with something else needs
> > the jumper, most of the time.
>
> I only use WD drives now, and they work like every other brand I've
> used in the past.  Master if it's the only or first drive, Slave if
> it's not.

I notice the difference when WD came out with something like the 500 Meg
drive. If you've got only one WD drive on a cable, no jumpers at all.
Two WD drives on the same channel used to be no jumpers. Maybe they've
changed something lately, but that's the way it was until a year ago.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid=8DmFh84h&p_lva=&p_faqid=54&p_created=1003440599&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9NjQ3JnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=

http://support.wdc.com/techinfo/general/jumpers.asp

Looks like they've changed, two drives require two jumpers, but one
drive, no jumpers.

Looks like they're into playing with cable select, too. I've only used
it a few times, and IIRC, it was with WD drives in cheap PCs.

HTH

--
Mike De La Mater
Starsign Northwest