[PLUG] Ssci zip drive.

Galen Seitz galens at seitzassoc.com
Tue Feb 17 11:13:02 UTC 2004

Bill Spears <bspears at easystreet.com> wrote:

> I have an older (notice the tone of respect, it may be slower, but that
> doesn't mean it can just give up on life), machine with a scsi zip drive
> in it.  I put a disk in it and the little light came on and I believe it
> was accepted.  Trouble is I don't know what to do get it going.
>
> I've read some older docs and they speak of rebuilding the kernel and
> putting incantations in lilo an /etc/modules.conf. This older machine is
> running Fedora1 and I just don't believe I have to do that, you know
> modern modular kernel and all that.
>
> Help me give a meaningful and purposeful life to this older machine.

I'd start by doing cat /proc/scsi/scsi.  You ought to see your drive listed.
For example:

Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 05 Lun: 00
  Vendor: IOMEGA   Model: ZIP 100          Rev: N*32
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02

Do you have other scsi disks?  If so, this will affect which device
(/dev/sd?) is associated with the drive.  Posting the output
from cat /proc/scsi/scsi is a good place to start.

galen