[PLUG] MSN POP3

Grigsby, Garl garl.grigsby at ugsplm.com
Wed Feb 18 16:53:02 UTC 2004

> A friend uses MSN for e-mail and he wants to convert from
> Outlook to an Open Source program like Thunderbird running
> on Windows. He gets his mail from MSN via POP3. When he
> configures Thunderbird the same as Outlook, he's not able to
> connect. The problems seems to be the authentication
> protocol. Does anyone have details on this?

MSN uses a non standard format for retrieving mail that only OE and MSN Explorer speak. There is a program called hotwayd that will translate from Microsoft's broken protocol to a standard pop3. I have used this in the past to get Hotmail using a standard client. Take a look at the following site for more information.

Garl

http://hotwayd.sourceforge.net/about/