[PLUG] A little book on perl.

Darkhorse plug_0 at robinson-west.com
Thu Feb 19 11:25:02 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-02-19 at 10:39, Michael Rasmussen wrote:

> Are you sure your research skills are up to higher education?

> The book is available from:
>       Amazon.com
>       Powells.com
>       BarnesAndNoble.com
>       and others I don't want to take the time to verify

> Not that one would ever consider looking in book stores to find
> books...

I've already checked Barnes and Nobles.  Part of the problem is that you
take online courses for convenience where it is not convenient at all to
have to go somewhere to pick up a book.

As far as my research skills, I think there can be a lively debate about
what research skills people with any higher education have and how
affective or ineffective college programs are at improving those
skills.

For instance, how many colleges have any courses or self help on how to
get a hold of some book online quickly?  How many schools on the West
Coast have abandoned books altogether in favor of e-books which don't
have to be shipped or picked up?

Another issue is that you should be able to get the book on the first
day of class or within a few days of it's start.  Clearly Barbara
is putting up the info a little early, but it's beyond me why she
doesn't suggest where to get a copy.

As far as my research skills.  Using a mailing list is a valid technique
where I'm not going anywhere today to get a copy because I can't.

I have a Calc III course going where I'm barely holding it.  This is
supposed to be a 1 credit course for fun where Barbara can't even get
enough enrollment to allow people to drop without permission should they
want or need to.  Frankly, this is the first course ever where I've been
enrollment locked, talked about a turn off.

I don't appreciate an attitude that I should be tested at the cost of
convenience when I need the convenience.

As far as buying books in general to become knowledgeable, you can't
afford to do this for long when you're unemployed.