[PLUG] Checkinstall and Slackware-9.1

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Feb 19 19:39:02 UTC 2004

  For those who don't know, checkinstall is a replacement for 'make install'
when building an executable from a source tarball. Checkinstall will build a
package (Red Hat, Slackware or Debian), then install it. This registers the
application in the package database and lets us manipulate it as we would
any other installed package. It's a great tool.

  When I use it on my Red Hat 7.3 system it produces both .src.rpm and
.i386.rpm for me to use as I wish. I could even rebuild the .src.rpm for a
specific architecture.

  However, when I run the version that comes with the Slackware distribution
disks, it apparently builds and installs the package, but the remaining .tgz
is not a full package; it's only a few hundred bytes in size.

  Does anyone know why this is? More importantly, how do I get a package
built on one machine that can be moved and installed on another machine?

TIA,

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
<http://www.appl-ecosys.com>