[PLUG] Checkinstall and Slackware-9.1

AthlonRob AthlonRob at axpr.net
Thu Feb 19 19:47:02 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-02-19 at 19:38, Rich Shepard wrote:

>   However, when I run the version that comes with the Slackware distribution
> disks, it apparently builds and installs the package, but the remaining .tgz
> is not a full package; it's only a few hundred bytes in size.
>
>   Does anyone know why this is? More importantly, how do I get a package
> built on one machine that can be moved and installed on another machine?

What is it you're building?  What's in that few-hundred-byte-long file?
Might be a bug in checkinstall, or the program you're building might be
doing something funky.

When I make packages (I've put three up on Linuxpackages.net so far), I
don't use checkinstall... I configure and make as normal, then make
install DESTDIR=/tmp/build_root and then I cd to /tmp/build_root, set
things up (documentation, slack-desc, permissions), then do a makepkg.

Rob