[PLUG] Missing /dev/cdrom

Bill Spears bspears at easystreet.com
Fri Feb 20 10:49:01 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-02-20 at 10:34, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Feb 2004, Bill Spears wrote:
>
> > I went to mount a cdrom as: # mount /dev/cdrom and it said there was no
> > such device.  I've done this many times before so I don't know what
> > could have happened.  This is a CD-RW drive with the option hdc=ide-scsi
> > installed.
> > fstab has the correct line for /dev/cdrom.
>
> Bill,
>
>   In /dev, do you have a softlink from /dev/sda -> /dev/cdrom? Looks to me
> as though the link might have broken.
>
> Rich

Thanks, Rich. I already fixed it.  I thought it must be something
exotic, but I decided that maybe I just deleted /dev/cdrom somehow.
So I remade the link and everything works. I guess the ide-scsi part
makes me a little nervous. I'm not sure whether hdc is ide or scsi, or
whether hdc is the same as scd0 which may be the same as sda1.  Anyhoo,
it works.
--
Bill Spears <bspears at easystreet.com>