[PLUG] LVM in Linux 2.6.3

Kyle Hayes kyle at silverbeach.net
Sat Feb 21 09:08:02 UTC 2004

On Saturday 21 February 2004 07:48, Jack Morgan wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 10:50:38PM -0800, Evan Heidtmann wrote:
> > Gentoo provides an ebuild called 'lvm2', but I don't have it
> > installed. How can I tell if I use lvm 1 or 2, and how can I get
> > support for whatever I have in the 2.6 kernel?
>
> You can find most answers to Gentoo specific questions in the
> Gentoo forumns. I found this...
>
> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=125571&highlight=lvm2
>
> Hope this helps,

As noted in these forum posts (the Gentoo ones), LVM is quite a bit
different in 2.6 than it was.  It is no longer all in the kernel.
Instead, the kernel supports a low level thing called device mapper
that does the grunt work of tying volumes together and doing the
sector mapping.  On top of that, in userspace, is a set of tools that
do things like device discovery.  EVMS and LVM have been rewritten to
work on top of device mapper.  LVM2 is the new userspace portion of
LVM.

I think that LVM2/DM supports both a new format and the old one.  I
think your existing drives should work, but it will take a little
twiddling.

I haven't used LVM in 2.6 yet.  I may just move to EVMS as it doesn't
involve bit kernel patches anymore (all in userspace).

Best,
Kyle