[PLUG] Anybody successful with Actiontec R1524SU "DSL Gateway" and Qwest?

Bill Spears bspears at easystreet.com
Sun Feb 22 07:37:01 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-02-22 at 06:34, Eric House wrote:
> I got hooked up with Qwest DSL on Friday (in Corvallis), and am having
> a miserable time with the modem.  If anybody else has had better luck
> I'd love to hear about it, if only to ease my suspicion that I'm
> wasting my time.
>
> Getting outbound connections going was easy enough.  That is, it seems
> to work for the kind of surfs-and-checks-email user they have in mind.
> But I want to run a real firewall (LEAF), forward ssh to an admin
> machine for when I'm traveling, host a web server, etc.  I've done
> this before with cable, but now the Actiontec box seems to be getting
> in the way (primarily by providing an unconfigurable firewall, and by
> requiring frequent powercycling as soon as I change any of the default
> settings.)
>
> I have a dynamic IP address, if that matters.  Qwest "tech support"
> suggested that a static address would be better, but couldn't explain
> why it'd matter.
>
> Anyway, I'm not looking for setup help (yet :-).  I just want to know
> if I'm wasting my time.  My daughter has a ton of homework to do so
> it'll be a few days before I can try any further tweaking.
>
> Also, does anybody know if there are less ambitious modems available
> that'll work with Qwest, or if switching to another DSL provider
> (available in Corvallis, which Speakeasy isn't) would help?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --Eric

I have a Cisco 678 that works fine in Portland.  When I talked to them
(Qwest) about moving my DSL to my other line they said I'd have to
switch to Action Tech.  Others on the list said there was no reason to
switch, that Cisco 678 also does DMT, whatever that is.
--
Bill Spears <bspears at easystreet.com>