[PLUG] E-mail etiquette: why MS users don't have it

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Tue Feb 24 05:26:01 UTC 2004

Ian> For one thing, it is the default for Microsoft Outlook to start
Ian> entering text at the top of the message.

Actually, I think it was Alan Flavell who noticed that Outlook is
actually doing the right thing.  The cursor needs to start at the top
of the quoted material SO THAT YOU CAN TRIM IT as you go down through
it to answer the email with interspersed comments.

What happened though is that a culture grew up around the "cursor is
at the top, so replies go at the top" mistaken impression of this
feature.

This is the mistake.  Not what Outlook does.