[PLUG] Octave-2.1.55 for Slackware-9.1

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Feb 24 09:28:02 UTC 2004

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004, Rich Shepard wrote:

>   Octave is the only source I've found for calculating the eigenvector and
> associated principal eigenvalue for a symmetric matrix. If you know of
> another algorithm (in C, java or pseudocode) please let me know. I've looked
> without finding anything.

  Sigh. Doesn't it always work this way? While I've spent too much time
digging in dusty, ill-lit corners of the Web looking for algorithms and code
for the above, it never occurred to me to look on my own system. Turns out
that both GRASS and R have functions. The latter is designed more for
spectral decomposition of a matrix while the former is just what I've been
seeking. Turns out it was in the image processing section and I've not done
that with GRASS for quite a few years. Who can afford satellite scenes? Not
I or my clients!

Excelsior!

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)