[PLUG] linux web server setup

AthlonRob AthlonRob at axpr.net
Wed Feb 25 07:52:22 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-24 at 22:13, Alex Chally wrote:

> I am working on the project with him, and we would really like to have
> ftp up and running, despite the problems with it.

Do it if you must.... but in addition to what others have said... here
is my two cents on FTP.

FTP is going away.  As others have stated, it is slow and it is
insecure.  FTP clients are disappearing.  Most Windoze users only have
two FTP clients on their computers; the command-line BSD FTP program and
their web browser.  Neither is meant to be a fully featured FTP client.

I think there are HTTP-based apache mods that can be used to easily
allow users to upload files.  There was some discussion about this a few
weeks ago on this list.  I see no reason this couldn't be tunneled over
SSL to be a bit more secure.

Really, though, look in to what ssh provides you.  Make sure you disable
telnet if you haven't already.  Start using ssh.  It'll provide you with
scp access... if the users are running linux at home, they can scp files
as easily as cp'ing them.  Otherwise, they can grab scp.exe from the
Putty download page and still scp files as easily as copying them.

It's secure, it's safe, it's faster....

My two cents...   :-)

Rob