[PLUG] Re: CDR speedup - observations

AthlonRob AthlonRob at axpr.net
Wed Feb 25 13:39:01 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-02-25 at 13:27, Elliott Mitchell wrote:

> Rob mentioned, PCI bandwidth is going to be a big issue. Most on
> motherboard IDE controllers never hit the main PCI bus. So if you're
> doing mass duplication, I could see running 17 drives at once. Connect
> one drive to the spare motherboard channel, then hang 16 drives off the
> main PCI bus. Figure that the 8MB/s is only the maximum drives will do
> though. Stagger when drives start writing and you'll be able to get more
> drives. More than 22 drives should be possible on a standard motherboard.

You're going to saturate your source, though... unless it's all cached
in RAM or something.

I thought onboard IDE controllers were hitting the PCI bus.  Although,
there was a change in the way southbridge controllers worked a few years
ago with all this 'HyperTransport' garbage.  Perhaps that's when these
things were pulled off the PCI bus.  I wouldn't trust it to always not
hit the PCI bus, however...

Rob