[PLUG] Mail to two IMAP servers

Matt Alexander m at phxlinux.org
Fri Feb 27 07:59:01 UTC 2004

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004, Rich Shepard wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Feb 2004, Matt Alexander wrote:
>
> > They'd like mail to be delivered to both servers for the time being so
> > users can get used to checking email on the Linux server, but still feel
> > confident that their mail is working.
>
> Matt,
>
>   I'm not a SysAdmin so I probably don't understand the problem. Why should
> the users even know on what machine or OS the mail server is running? If
> it's a matter of becoming used to a new MUA, then that's separate from the
> MTA behind it. If they are using winduhs MUA offering, cannot that get mail
> from the linux box directly?

In Outlook the users will have two IMAP servers configured.  One for the
NT server and one for the Linux server.  The owner of the company wants
mail delivered to both servers so users will see the same messages in each
IMAP setup.  This is just a temporary configuration so the owner and the
users can feel confident that the Linux IMAP server is functioning exactly
like the NT IMAP server.  We'll then let it run like this for a couple
weeks and then delete the Outlook configuration for the NT IMAP server and
use only the Linux IMAP server.
~M