[PLUG] Mail to two IMAP servers

Brian Beattie beattie at beattie-home.net
Fri Feb 27 08:32:01 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-02-27 at 11:20, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Feb 2004, Matt Alexander wrote:
>
> > In Outlook the users will have two IMAP servers configured.  One for the
> > NT server and one for the Linux server.  The owner of the company wants
> > mail delivered to both servers so users will see the same messages in each
> > IMAP setup.  This is just a temporary configuration so the owner and the
> > users can feel confident that the Linux IMAP server is functioning exactly
> > like the NT IMAP server.  We'll then let it run like this for a couple
> > weeks and then delete the Outlook configuration for the NT IMAP server and
> > use only the Linux IMAP server.
>
> Matt,
>
>   Oh. Wow. I would think that a few test messages sent to the owner and
> employees via the linux server would demonstrate that the back end makes no
> difference. But, I guess you're dealing with other issues there and this is
> only a manifestation of them.
>
>   Looks like the kind of non-rational attitudes with which I have to deal
> when I step through the looking glass into RegulatoryLand.

If I had a nickle for every time "it should just work" and it didn't I'd
have a couple of bucks.  When dealing with a situation where errors
might go undetected and such an error could have grave consequences (a
important email lost with no indication) I think it is prudent to use
this kind of double checking.

--
Brian Beattie            | Experienced kernel hacker/embedded systems
beattie at beattie-home.net | programmer, direct or contract, short or

"Honor isn't about making the right choices.
It's about dealing with the consequences." -- Midori Koto