[PLUG] More SCSI woes.

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Sun Feb 29 16:59:01 UTC 2004

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004, cabbey wrote:
> I've not had this particular problem, but you may want to see what bios
> version the 2940u2w card is flashed to.  If you have a different system
> you can get it to run in and boot to floppy, then you could flash it to
> latest version (if not already).

It's not the latest version and I haven't tried it in any other systems.
So there's something to do.  I don't have too many systems to test,
though.

> They list 3 current bios versions for the 2940u2w, so this might
> indicate compatibility issues requiring the use of 3 unique ones (The
> 2940uw only lists 2, but had *many* more versions than that)...

I'll read them and see if anything sounds right.

> Just FWIW, what version bios is each 2940 card?

The new card is 2.0 with a 1997 bios.  Surely that could be updated if it
would only let the system boot.

> You might also try using a different PCI slot if possible.

Will do.

> Does it do this long continuous beep if there are devices connected to
> the SCSI cables or when there are no devices at all hooked up?

Haven't tried it without any devices connected, either.  Good steps.

> Try without any devices hooked up as well to see if this solves the beep
> issue - if so maybe a termination or lvd/se issue...

It's not termination, certainly.  What would an "lvd/se issue" be?  The
difference between the cards is essentially this, so it seems the most
likely culprit.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin