[PLUG] Font display on LCD monitor with X

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Feb 29 17:27:02 UTC 2004

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004, Aaron Burt wrote:

> That's yer problem right there.  Text tooks terrible in anything other
> than the native resolution on an LCD.

Aaron,

  OK. I've never noticed this on my notebooks, but I sure see it on the big
monitor.

> I'll bet X is refusing to come up in 1280x1024 for some reason.  Check
> your HorizSync and VertRefresh against the manual's specs for those
> ranges.  Mine are at 30-90 and 50-150 respectively.

  When I press the menu botton it tells me the horizontal frequency is 48.3
KHz and the vertical refresh is 60 Hz, at 1024x768 (this while I'm at a
console).

  In the monitor section of /etc/X11/XF86Config, the HorizSync is set for
31.5-50 KHz and the VertRefresh is set to 40-90. So that should cover it.

> For God's sake, don't forget to send in the rebate form.

  There wasn't a rebate on this puppy, just an in-store sale price.

Thanks,

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
<http://www.appl-ecosys.com>