[PLUG] Dual Booting Linux, Windows XP

Ian Burrell ian at znark.com
Thu Jan 1 00:25:03 UTC 2004

Marvin J. Kosmal wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-12-30 at 10:54, Russell Evans wrote:
>>
>>Don't do it. /dev/hda1 is not your MBR.
>

> Ok.. I have been wrong before..
>
> What is it????

/dev/hda1 is the first partition on /dev/hda hard drive.  The MBR is the
first sector of the hard drive, /dev/hda.  It is possible to have a boot
sector in the first sector of a partition for use with chaining.

In my experience, it is easiest to have GRUB installed in the MBR.  With
Windows 2000 and XP, chain loading works great.  This is the config from
my /etc/grub.conf.  Windows 2000 is installed in /dev/hda1; hd0,0 for GRUB.

title Windows 2000
         rootnoverify (hd0,0)
         chainloader +1

  - Ian