[PLUG] remote user notifications

Felix Lee felix.1 at canids.net
Thu Jan 1 16:45:02 UTC 2004

Brian Derr <bderr at myrealbox.com>:
> With this new evidence I have a new question then: What do these
> terminal emulators do that rxvt doesn't?  It doesn't pick up wall or
> shutdown messages.  Is it a compile time option for rxvt?

it's about whether you're "logged in" or not,
which is about writing to /var/run/utmp (used to be /etc/utmp),
which is what 'wall' uses to decide where to write to,
and also what 'who' uses to report who's logged in.

any program that wants to be "logged in"
needs to be able to write to utmp,
which means it needs to be set-gid utmp or set-uid root,
or it needs to call a program that can write to utmp,
such as "login".

note, "wall" won't notify remote X users who aren't running an
xterm or similar tty program.