[PLUG] Playing with imap server and fetchmail...

none 1663eesa at robinson-west.com
Fri Jan 2 23:14:02 UTC 2004

I have run into a few curiosities with fetchmail and imap.
Does IMAP draw the mail out of the local postfix mail
queue before any local mail user agent such as pine, etc.
, can?  If not, can messages go missing from the imap
server if they are picked up by a local mail user agent
on the server?

With fetchmail, I'm trying the fetch-all and keep options.
I attempted to delete messages after fetching them only to
see them pop up again.  Where is the list of what emails a
client has received kept in IMAP?  I'm trying to use imap
2000.  Does imap compare the folder that is being
downloaded into to what's on the server to synchronize
the two, a local list of emails, or a remote one on the
server itself?

What is being downloaded with IMAP?  Is it just headers?
When the message is read is it downloaded?  Is it still
on the server after it is read?  Does the client download
to a temp file and then discard that after you're done
reading a message?  I'm used to an smtp and local mua
only environment.

     --  Michael C. Robinson