[PLUG] Playing with imap server and fetchmail...

none 1663eesa at robinson-west.com
Sat Jan 3 11:20:02 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-01-03 at 09:24, AthlonRob wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-01-02 at 23:11, none wrote:
> > I have run into a few curiosities with fetchmail and imap.
> > Does IMAP draw the mail out of the local postfix mail
> > queue before any local mail user agent such as pine, etc.
> > , can?  If not, can messages go missing from the imap
> > server if they are picked up by a local mail user agent
> > on the server?
>
> Judging from this paragraph and the rest of the email (snipped) I think
> you don't have a very good understanding of how email works on the
> server side of things.  I would suggest reading up on it a bit, but I'll
> give you a brief explanation of what you're asking about...

Read what?  There are a lot of HOWTO's that aren't good enough.
There are a lot of books like the one Sendmail that wouldn't
be particularly helpful.  When using IMAP, where are the lists
of what is read and not read kept?  Does IMAP ever remove
messages from the spool?  Who teaches a course on Postfix
and other mail issues within the Portland area or online?
Where I'm at, there isn't exactly a public library to go
that has anything useful on technical topics.  I didn't
know of any such resource when I was at Portland State
either, the unrealistic expectations of some instructors
such as Karla Fant compounding this problem.  It isn't
talked about enough in Computer Science programs at PSU.

> Mail is stored in spools on the server, be it an mbox file or maildir.
> When it comes in, it's put in to the user's spool, usually in
> /var/spool/mail/$user if you're using mbox... if you're using maildir
> the spool will generally be in your home directory.

Can a Maildir be elsewhere than the home directory so that mixing with
other files isn't a problem?  What files need to be changed to relocate
Maildirs or is the location of the Maildir assumed by many programs?
Is evolution Maildir compatible?

     --  Michael C. Robinson