[PLUG] adding user accounts in bulk

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Mon Jan 5 15:22:02 UTC 2004

On Sunday 04 January 2004 9:11 am, Michael Rasmussen wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 03, 2004 at 04:30:22PM -0800, Jeme A Brelin wrote:
> > Rather,
> > useradd -m -k /etc/skel -p $PASSWORD $USERNAME
> >
> > Why do you folks always do things the hard way?
>
> I sent the email and cringed when I realised what I'd done.
> It hurt worse than the the helmet cracking fall from bike.

I'd rather write a borky script that fall from a bike, but oh well. :)

Ok I am still mystified. is this line supposed to do something all by itself?
'cause it doesn't. Where do the new users come from?

Oh here's another cool find command that comes in handy when making mass
changes because a user has moved or been deleted:

# find / -uid 1050 -exec chown  1200 {} \;

Or use the usernames instead of uid. However if the user has been deleted, the
only way to find any remaining files are by the uid.
--
Carla Schroder