[PLUG] How to get ahead in spite of PCC(was the Venting thing)

Prutzer techmage at aracnet.com
Mon Jan 5 18:55:02 UTC 2004

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 18:18:06 -0800, you wrote:

>Prutzer (techmage at aracnet.com) typed this ...
>> Is there anywhere I can take classes in Unix/Linux (200 level or
>> better) so I can prepare myself for the job market?
>
>Most Linux/Uinx admins that I know got all their training on the job. Of
>course, the economy was better then, so you might have to try something
>a little different.
And If the economy was a little better, I would be trying to do it
that way too!

>I've been running small networks of Suns and Linux and Windows since
>about 1992 (not so much Linux in 92, since it wasn't production quality
>then), and I think the Cisco certifications are a great place to start.
>If you understand networking and troubleshooting, you have a strong
>foundation. Then maybe Linux+ or server+ certification (MS-heavy, but
>lots of generic stuff too) and some low-wage work to get experience and
>you'll have a nice resume.
I started going this way as well when I first learned that PCC was
moving away from Unix/Linux teaching. So, Yeah, I'm going to take the
Cisco classes as well as the FiberOptic classes because they make
sense to me to learn as an Admin. Heck, I think the fiberoptic should
be part of the CIS degree as well as the Cisco, but they make WAY to
much money if the school offers them separately.

>I'm not saying that a degree is a bad idea, just that Linux admins don't
>usually have one that directly relates to their work. A degree in any
>hard science will be very useful, though.
The Degree is for me. I've wanted to finish it since I started in
1973, but just never had the right opportunity or reason to do it
until 2001. Now, I just want to finish and to be educated and useful
afterwards.
>Good luck!
>
>--Kurt
Thanks and don't stop shining your light for those of us walking in
darkness and despair.

Thanks,
Harry
Dont immanentize the eschaton