[PLUG] Flaky compiler?

AthlonRob AthlonRob at axpr.net
Tue Jan 6 09:54:02 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-06 at 09:47, Robert Kopp wrote:
> Having installed a more current version of Linux, I
> get the impression that I have trouble compiling some
> software that formerly did not present difficulties
> (gcc-3.3.1-24). Is this possible? If so, how can I
> address the problem?

I think you're being a bit vague...  :-)

I installed this thing, and it doesn't do the thing I wanted it to.  Any
suggestions?

What version of 'Linux' did you install?  As in, what distribution and
version, although they really shouldn't matter too much.  "Current
version of Linux" doesn't narrow it down very much.  :-)

Yes, new GCC versions *can* present compilation difficulties.  They do
things just a little bit different, which can lead to problems.  IMHO,
GCC 3.2.3 is the one to stick with for now; it's what both Slackware and
Gentoo utilize which speaks volumes to me.

How to resolve it?  Install a different GCC version, perhaps?

Rob