[PLUG] Prism2 HOSTAP Driver? Stupid wlan-ng....

AthlonRob AthlonRob at axpr.net
Tue Jan 6 11:11:02 UTC 2004

I'm getting sick of wlan-ng bigtime.  The lack of wireless extensions
just plain SUCKS.  The configuration setup for wlan-ng itself is a bit
cryptic... since it's in beta right now, their documentation is a bit
out of date, apparently, so I'm not even sure the location of the
configuration file being used.

Aside from the slightly better hardware support compared to the
in-kernel Orinoco driver, I see no reason at all to use these drivers.
Unfortunately, the in-kernel driver doesn't totally jive with my
particular Prism2 card.

So I'm looking at the HostAP drivers, as was suggested on a webpage.
The documentation doesn't seem to say if I can use these drivers as
regular wifi card driver or if I'll be stuck acting like a second access
point... which would be a bit pointless.  :-)

Are any of you out there using the HostAP drivers as regular standalone
drivers for your wifi card?  Anybody stumbled on a page devoted to this?

Thanks for any pointers...  :-)

Rob