[PLUG] apt vs rpm cheat sheet?

Colin Kuskie ckuskie at dalsemi.com
Tue Jan 6 13:37:02 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 01:18:49PM -0800, Zot O'Connor wrote:

> So thinking this was a good cause I outputted rpm --help into a file and
> added what I thought was the apt commands.  I've cut and pasted it here,
> and I've attached to preserve formatting.
>
> some things to remember, as Fedor pointed out, apt is more of a way of
> getting files packages, not an installer, or maintainer of packages.  In
> redhat it is a transport mechanism for rpm.  I believe in debian its
> dpkg/dselect.  So lots of rpm specific issues do not apply to apt.  The
> same is true the other way.

Thanks a lot, Zot.  As I'm wading through various manpages I was
understanding more of what Fedor (and now you) are saying.  apt/up2date
mainly handle transport (getting it here) and installation issues
(dependency resolution, ordering, etc.)  dpkg and rpm are for handling
a package (install it, remove it, verify it, query it) and handling the
set of installed packages.

I think what I'm going to do from here is this:

Figure out the set of commands that I most used and document them.

Publish that.

Add more information from your manpage mangling and other feedback
and repeat.

Thanks again!
Colin