[PLUG] Intel C++, GCC compatibility

AthlonRob AthlonRob at axpr.net
Wed Jan 7 00:36:02 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-06 at 23:45, Robert Kopp wrote:
> According to Intel, "As a demonstration of
> compatibility with gcc, Intel C++ 7.0 compilers for
> Linux have successfully built and run the Linux
> kernels, version 2.4.18, on IA-32 and Itanium
> processors using a limited number of temporary source
> patches." (I have an Athlon processor, however.)

Your Athlon processor is IA-32.  Besides, the 2.4 kernel series only
optimizes up to i686... there are no PII/III/IV/Athlon/AthlonXP
optimizations available without patching the kernel (I think it was like
ten lines of code, very easy, I was able to do it without a patch file).

> Intel has benchmarking software available for those
> wishing to compare their C++ compiler with gcc. In my
> case, of course, it's a knockout, with gcc not working
> at all. With the Intel compiler, the loop count in the
> source test code has to be increased because it's so fast.

Is ICC free?  If it works well, I may just recompile a decent portion of
my Gentoo system with it... I'm always looking for speed boosts.  :-)

Rob