[PLUG] Intel C++, GCC compatibility

Robert Kopp iconoklastic at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 7 09:49:02 UTC 2004

--- AthlonRob <AthlonRob at axpr.net> wrote:
> Is ICC free?  If it works well, I may just recompile
> a decent portion of
> my Gentoo system with it... I'm always looking for
> speed boosts.  :-)

It's made available for "free" on about the same basis
as Kylix, for example. The source code is not
available, and you can't sell any binaries made with
the non-commercial version. (They DO provide a limited
amount of technical support for the free version,
although it's not as good as for paid users.)

Neutral reviewers think the Intel compiler is about
20% faster on the Pentium IV, more for some tasks. And
it may make more compact code.  You have to weigh this
against the time involved in learning to use a new
product.

Some time today I'm going to repeat the steps involved
in trying to install GCC once I discovered that it was
non-functioning. Perhaps others have had similar
problems, at least with rpm-based distributions.

=====
Robert "Tim" Kopp
http://analytic.tripod.com/

"Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies."--Frederick Nietzsche