[PLUG] Prism2 HOSTAP Driver? Stupid wlan-ng....

none 1663eesa at robinson-west.com
Wed Jan 7 12:38:01 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-06 at 11:41, Michael Rasmussen wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 11:10:21AM -0800, AthlonRob wrote:
> > So I'm looking at the HostAP drivers, as was suggested on a webpage.
> > The documentation doesn't seem to say if I can use these drivers as
> > regular wifi card driver or if I'll be stuck acting like a second access
> > point... which would be a bit pointless.  :-)

> I'm using HostAP on all my wireless devices.  The distinction between being in
> host mode, acting like an AP, or not is a run time configuration.

I'm not running mine in any mode other than AP, couldn't you just put
one on a subnet too small for more than two hosts?  I'm thinking
some_private_range/31 CIDR mask.

Getting the same ad-hoc mode on multiple hosts isn't something
I've figured out yet.

I've played around some with WEP but haven't gotten it to work either.
I wonder about AES and is it TKIP?  There are two other security
options.  All in all external encryption is probably a better
choice.

     --  Michael C. Robinson