[PLUG] Prism2 HOSTAP Driver? Stupid wlan-ng....

none 1663eesa at robinson-west.com
Wed Jan 7 12:47:01 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-06 at 11:10, AthlonRob wrote:
> I'm getting sick of wlan-ng bigtime.  The lack of wireless extensions
> just plain SUCKS.  The configuration setup for wlan-ng itself is a bit
> cryptic... since it's in beta right now, their documentation is a bit
> out of date, apparently, so I'm not even sure the location of the
> configuration file being used.
>
> Aside from the slightly better hardware support compared to the
> in-kernel Orinoco driver, I see no reason at all to use these drivers.
> Unfortunately, the in-kernel driver doesn't totally jive with my
> particular Prism2 card.
>
> So I'm looking at the HostAP drivers, as was suggested on a webpage.
> The documentation doesn't seem to say if I can use these drivers as
> regular wifi card driver or if I'll be stuck acting like a second access
> point... which would be a bit pointless.  :-)
>
> Are any of you out there using the HostAP drivers as regular standalone
> drivers for your wifi card?  Anybody stumbled on a page devoted to this?
>
> Thanks for any pointers...  :-)
>
> Rob

Are you using wireless extensions 16?  I had to grab the source and
copy a certain header, wireless.h, to /usr/include.

There's iwconfig wlan0 mode ad-hoc, how do you get the client into
the same ad-hoc mode though?  I've never gotten an ad-hoc connection
to work, even with the hostap driver.  One difference I have noticed
with the hostap driver is that my SMC2632/2602W comes up as an 802.11b
card running at 11 mb.  I couldn't do ap mode with the kernel driver,
so I never got a link up using it.

I'd think ap to ap is valed.  An ap point seems analogous to a hub
in wired ethernet.  Does using WEP require an AP?  How about TKIP?
AES?