[PLUG] Windows XP and samba...

none 1663eesa at robinson-west.com
Wed Jan 7 13:39:02 UTC 2004

There has been some comment that all Windows 98 user should replace
with 2000 or XP pro.  I've been reluctatnt on grounds that samba
has evidently had trouble with XP.  The user structure is significantly
different I suspect in XP.

When it comes to software platforms,  what objectively do Linux and
Mac OS lack, if anything, that make XP worth having?

I recently filled out an aid request on the fafsa.ed.gov site where
I was dismayed that they don't even list MacOS X recommendations,
only recommendations to use IE or Netscape under Windows.  I
ignored them choosing to use mozilla under Linux and it worked.
If having a fafsa.ed.gov site is a convenience thing it behooves
the government to at least be Mac friendly.

     --  Michael C. Robinson