[PLUG] Windows XP and samba...

Steven Raymond stever at woo-hoo.com
Wed Jan 7 14:04:02 UTC 2004

> has evidently had trouble with XP.  The user structure is significantly
> different I suspect in XP.

Dunno- have XP, 2000, NT, 98 and OSX all running SMB here and no problems
at all.

> When it comes to software platforms,  what objectively do Linux and Mac
> OS lack, if anything, that make XP worth having?

Games.  So far gaming is superior on win32.  And in my experience you may
be left waiting for decent driver support for the new 3d cards on Linux,
although that seems to have improved.
I just got a Powerbook and am very pleased thus far.  It has some annoying
UI quirks, but I believe the hardware support (for the few things that are
reported to be supported on OSX) will be excellent.  So far office works
fine, as does SMB and printing is based upon CUPS which is great.  For
example, I cannot get my XP machine to print to my HP 832C connected to an
NT4 server due to some stupid driver issue.  The MAC and Linux machines
work fine.

 > If having a fafsa.ed.gov site is a convenience thing it behooves
> the government to at least be Mac friendly.

I just poked around for a brief moment on that site with Safari (the
default OSX browswer) and it was both speedy and everything seemed to work
well.  I think it is based upon the Konqueror (sp?) engine??  Could be
wrong on that.