[PLUG] Linux or Unix Classes(warning: VENTING)

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Wed Jan 7 15:11:01 UTC 2004

On Wed, 7 Jan 2004, Kyle Hayes wrote:

> On Tuesday 06 January 2004 06:48, Paul Heinlein wrote:
> > We've had this discussion before. Many disciplines have a
> > three-way distinction between design, creation and maintenance:
> >
> >   Architect           - Contractor      - Handy man
> >   Automotive designer - Plant Engineers - Mechanic
> >   Computer Scientist  - Programmer      - Sysadmin
>
> I'd argue that the last line should read:
>
> Software/systems Architect - Programmer - Sysadmin

Yeah, that's probably more accurate. I was trying to devise a
vocabulary for someone who does the computing equivalent of
traditional architecture. I didn't realize that I could just use
'architect' and have it fit. :-)

> Of course, since I have a degree in software design/architecture, I
> feel it is a meaningful distinction :-)  My professional experience
> tends to show that there is a difference as well, but that it is not
> well understood and not well acknowleged.  Programmers are just
> supposed to learn how to be designers/architects along the way.

*nod*

The three-way (or, in your thinking, four-way) is much more observable
in large, bureaucratic companies where there are Project Managers who
tend to deal with larger design issues and Programmers who are
primarily concerned with implementing their decisions.

> I find that the mindset is really what distinguishes people in the
> different aspects of the work.  Big picture people tend to gravitate
> more toward architecture.  This is, of course, a huge generalization
> :-)

There's still some truth in it. I think there are some other
dimensions as well:

* Designers are typically more likely to enjoy the rough and tumble of
  decision making in a social setting. Designers, at least in the
  corporate world, are far more likely to be meeting-bound than the
  creators or maintainers. There's good reason for that, of course:
  designers are the ones who typically have to negotiate with clients
  or upper management.

* Designers are more likely to have gotten an early start on their
  vocation, especially as regards formal training. That less true, I
  suppose, in a new field like CS than it is in traditional ones like
  architecture. There's always room for the guy who starts at the
  bottom, but they're the minority.

-- Paul Heinlein <heinlein at madboa.com>