[PLUG] checking kernel config

AthlonRob AthlonRob at axpr.net
Wed Jan 7 16:45:02 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-07 at 16:39, Carla Schroder wrote:
>  time for today's Tricky Question:
>  how do you check for specific features supported in the kernel?
>  let's say you're installing Quota-and it requires some kernel patches
>  how do you check if they are already applied?

2.6 introduced an option to make the kernel config available in /proc...
it may or may not have been backported to 2.4.

Other than that, I don't think there's a standard way to check and see
how the kernel was compiled.  If it's a distribution's kernel, you
should be able to find the .config file under /boot or somewhere equally
obvious.  Otherwise... find out what exactly the patch does.  Odds are
pretty decent it does something in /proc you can check for.  If it
doesn't do anything you can detect, you may be SOL...

Rob