[PLUG] checking kernel config

AthlonRob AthlonRob at axpr.net
Wed Jan 7 17:02:01 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-07 at 16:50, none wrote:

> How is the 2.6 kernel as far as stability and developement coming?
> What are the minimum requirements to go from 2.4.23 to a 2.6 kernel?

2.6.0, IMHO, is quite stable.  I'm waiting until 2.6.3 or 2.6.4 before I
upgrade my server, however, to let additional fixes filter through.
I've been running 2.6 on my laptop since test5 was released ... the only
kernel-related crashes (non-nvidia-related crashes) since then were
under 2.4.x.

AFAIK, the requirements, hardware-wise, for 2.6.0 are lower than for
2.4.x with that 'embedded' option and the 'tiny' patches.
Software-wise, you need module-init-tools instead of modutils and a /sys
directory for sysfs.

Rob